Personal Information Protection Policy
Our Privacy Commitment
TallGrass Distribution Ltd. is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information obtained by reason of your relationship with TallGrass. This policy explains the types of personal information we collect, how it is used, and the steps we take to ensure that the privacy of your personal information is appropriately protected.
Our policies and practices have been designed to comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and corresponding current provincial privacy acts.
This policy applies to individuals who we deal with in Canada including employees, shareholders, directors, customers, consumers and others.
Who is TallGrass?
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is information that refers to an individual specifically and includes information recorded in any form. Personal information includes such things as age, income, date of birth, unique identification numbers, medical and financial data.
What Personal Information does TallGrass collect and how is it used?
TallGrass collects two types of information: personal information and non-personal information. We will identify the purpose for which your personal information is collected, either before or at the time that we collect your personal information. You can always choose not to provide us with any of your personal information. However, if you make this choice we may not be able to provide you with the product, service, or information that you requested.
Listed here are some examples of the purposes for which we may collect, use or disclose your personal information:
- For employees, we collect information such as employment and education history, medical/spousal information for benefit plans, social insurance numbers for government filings, photo ID for legal and filing purposes, banking information for payroll or any financial transactions, activity logs, performance evaluations and sick reports.
- For shareholders, Directors & Officers, certain employees, consultants and other individuals as required, certain information is collected and disclosed in compliance with the information requirements of various securities laws.
- For customers, information will include bank information, contact name, credit card number, client name, address and contact information.
- For consumers, we collect information related to a product complaints, concerns or compliments including the name of the customer and contact information, the product name, the store where the product was purchased.
Our Web Sites
Information TallGrass Collects Automatically
Like many other Web sites, we automatically collect certain non-personal information regarding Web site users that does not identify you. Examples include the Internet Protocol (IP) address of your computer, the IP address of your Internet Service Provider, the date and time you access the Web Site, the Internet address of the Web site from which you linked directly to the Web Site, the operating system you are using, the sections of the Web Site you visit, the Web Site pages read and images viewed, and the content you download from the Web Site. This non-personal information is used for Web Site and system administration purposes and to improve the Web Site.
The Web Site uses "cookies", a technology that installs a small amount of information on a Web Site user's computer to permit the Web Site to recognize future visits using that computer. Cookies enhance the convenience and use of the Web Site. For example, the information provided through cookies may be used to recognize you as a previous user of the Web Site, to offer personalized Web page content and information for your use, to track your activity at the Web Site, to respond to your needs, and to otherwise facilitate your Web Site experience.
Links to Other Web Sites
Our Web Site may contain links to other Web sites or Internet resources. When you click on one of those links you are contacting another Web site or Internet resource. TallGrass has no responsibility or liability for or control over those other Web sites or Internet resources or their collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of those other sites to learn how they collect and use information about you.
How Does TallGrass Obtain Consent to Collect, Use and/or Disclose My Personal Information?
Generally, TallGrass obtains your consent to collect, use or disclose personal information. The method of obtaining consent is appropriate to the type and sensitivity of personal information being collected, used or disclosed. In appropriate circumstances we collect information indirectly from third party sources such as, physicians and investment counselors.
In some cases, your consent is implied if we ask you to provide personal information with a stated purpose. For example, if you are submitting a resume or information request form, you will be given the opportunity, before you submit the information, to choose not to have your information used for email updates on the Company’s endeavors. If you have not "opted out" by directing us to withhold your information from information submission forms, you can always contact the company at a later date to withdraw your consent.
In other cases, we will ask you to give your express consent to collect, use or disclose your personal information where such information would be considered sensitive. For example, we would obtain your express consent to disclose your personal information in the event we require a “background check” before hiring you.
You can change your consent preferences at any time by contacting TallGrass Head Office, where you will be directed to the Privacy Officer. To change your preferences, please refer to the “How Do I Contact TallGrass?” section below.
Does TallGrass Limit the Collection of My Personal Information?
TallGrass typically collects only the personal information required to provide our products and services to you. If the personal information we require is collected for a reason other than to provide products and services, we will advise you of the reason and obtain your consent before or at the time the information is collected. TallGrass will only collect personal information by fair and lawful means.
The following are some examples of why we collect your personal information;
- To process any information requests and customer requests;
- To process any résumés submitted for any existing or potential positions within TallGrass;
- To add the subscriber's email address to the Company’s database for information dissemination including but not limited to news releases or corporate updates;
- To measure and improve the effectiveness of our Web Sites or our marketing endeavors; and
- To comply with the law.
We may also collect and summarize subscriber information in a format that no longer identifies the individual for statistical purposes.
Does TallGrass Limit the Use, Disclosure and Retention of My Personal Information?
Except as permitted or required by law, TallGrass uses and discloses your personal information only for the purposes it was collected. TallGrass does not sell or rent personal information to any organization or person for any reason; provided, however, If TallGrass or a substantial part of our business is sold or otherwise transferred to a third party, your personal information may be transferred as well. We will notify you of any transfer of your personal information in connection with such a major transaction. In addition to the above, we may also share your information with third parties acting on our behalf. We will use reasonable efforts to ensure that your personal information is used in a manner that is consistent with this Policy.
TallGrass may disclose or collect your information as permitted or required to by law, for example:
- To a government institution or other person or entity that has asserted its lawful authority to obtain the information;
- Where we have reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful in the investigation of unlawful activity;
- To comply with a subpoena or warrant or an order made by a court, person or entity with jurisdiction to compel the production of information;
- To comply with court rules regarding the production of records and information;
- To our legal counsel;
- In the establishment, administration or termination of an employment relationship;
- To meet ethical requirements or obligations imposed by regulatory and self-regulatory bodies;
- If the information is publicly available;
- In connection with the financing, insuring, sale, assignment or licensing of TallGrass’ business or a division thereof, in accordance with requirements imposed by law;
- To assist in or coordinate product recalls; and
- To conduct surveys and questionnaires.
TallGrass retains your personal information only as long as it is required for our business relationship or as required by federal or provincial laws, subject to reasonable industry practices for records retention.
Does TallGrass Keep My Personal Information Up To Date and Accurate?
TallGrass makes reasonable efforts to keep your personal information up to date, accurate and relevant for its intended use, however we rely on you to update us with your information as it changes.
You may request access to the personal information we have on record in order to review and amend the information, as appropriate. To access your personal information, please refer to the “How Do I Contact TallGrass?” section below.
How Does TallGrass Protect My Personal Information?
The security of your personal information is a high priority for TallGrass. We maintain appropriate safeguards and security measures to protect your personal information, whether recorded on paper or captured electronically, against unauthorized access, disclosure, or misuse, including;
- Physical security measures such as restricted access facilities;
- Electronic security measures for computerized personal information such as password protection and encryption where appropriate;
- Organizational processes such as limiting access to personal information to a selected group of individuals; and
- Reviewing contractual obligations with third parties who need access to your personal information to verify they are required to protect and secure your personal information as appropriate.
Although we cannot take responsibility for any theft, misuse, unauthorized disclosure, loss, alteration or destruction of data by a third party, we take reasonable precautions to prevent such occurrences.
Does TallGrass Provide Access to My Personal Information?
You can request access to your personal information to verify, update, or correct it, and to have any obsolete personal information removed. You can also request to review any of your personal information that we have retained and how we have used it.
Subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law, and provided we can authenticate your identity, you will be given reasonable access to your personal information, and will be entitled to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and to have it amended as appropriate.
You can also ask us to change your preferences regarding how we use or disclose your information, or let us know that you do not wish to receive any further communication from us.
We will respond to your requests for access to, changes to, or removal of your personal information in a timely manner. To access your personal information, please refer to the “How Can I Contact TallGrass” section below.
Will TallGrass Respond to My Questions, Concerns and Complaints About Privacy?
TallGrass has developed an internal privacy complaints procedure, and will be happy to provide further information and materials upon request.
How Can I Contact TallGrass?
Send us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call us at: 1-800-616-5900
Write us at: TallGrass
303 - 40 East 5th Avenue
Attention: Customer Service
Facsimile us at: 1-888-616-1316
To accommodate changes in our service, the technology, and legal developments, this Policy may change over time. We may add, change, or remove portions of this Policy when we feel it is appropriate and such changes become effective upon posting.
This Policy was last updated on February 1, 2007.
Children's Privacy Protection
The Site does not target children or provide products or services for use by children. We do not knowingly collect Information from persons under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age, you may review the Site only with involvement of a parent or guardian, and you may not use any portion of the Site that would require collection of personal information from you.